We are Bowen Island’s eBike company: Bowen eBikes. We rent electric bikes from Snug Cove (20 meters from the ferry). We love exploring this island on our bikes and hope you will too!
We are sold out for Saturday July 24. Still taking bookings for Sunday July 25.
How Can I Rent From You?
Ahead of time: While we are currently setting up our new booking system, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 778-956-7946 between 7am and 7pm. In your email, please include a preferred date and time, and phone number to call you back at.
In Person: Walk off the ferry, turn left, and say hi! We are a 20 meter walk to the left when you walk off the ferry. We are there between 9am and 3pm in person. Though we are open via phone starting at 7am! Note that we may not have an eBike prepared to go for you right away. Please call, or email in advance so we can sort the paperwork out, and have an eBike ready just for you and your group.
Where Can I Cycle To
- Artisan Square
- Hiking Trails
- Artists and farmsteads around the island
- Remote view points
- Pack a picnic and head off to a remote beach (our favourite).
- …the list goes on!
Flexible eBike Pickup
We are happy to drop off the eBikes at your accommodations for longer duration rentals.
Arriving by ferry?
Walk off to our store, we are at the fantastic Union Steamship Marina. We are a 20 meter walk from the ferry to your left.
I hear I can get a discount?
Yes, are you staying at one of our partner locations? Ask your host if their hotel, BnB, yoga studio, or other accommodation has partnered with us.
Did you bring your own helmet? Save even more!
Flexible eBike DropOff Locations
You can leave your eBike locked up at the Bowen Bike Barn, or our office in Snug Cove. We can make other arrangements in advance for your most adventuresome groups.
Each rental includes a lock, a fully charged battery, and a charging cable. Please lock the eBikes when not in use. While we have some helmets here, and won’t turn you away if you forget yours, we encourage you to bring your own. That’s why we’re giving a discount to anyone who brings their own.
The eBikes are Class One, pedal-assist, and capable of speeds up to 24km/hr. They do require you to spin the pedals for the electric motor to kick in. Bowen Island is a hilly place to explore and electric assisted biking is key to making the most of your visit.
- Unfortunately, due to BC law, those under 16 can not ride an electric bike, while we would like to rent to those based on merit, and spunk, there be #rules.
- Pedalling is required to activate the electronic assist. There is no throttle trigger or button to go.
- Our current fleet of eBikes are only rated to a rider of 230lbs or less. We are getting in some bigger eBikes, and batteries for Spring 2021.
COVID-19 has affected us all. There are some changes we are making to our program to ensure everyone has a safe and enjoyable visit.
Helmets are required to rent our bikes. Please bring your own helmet, and do not rely on us having one for you to purchase or rent. If you cannot produce a helmet at the time your ride is set to begin, or rent a well-fitting helmet from us, we will not be able to release the eBike.
Sanitization between each rental is standard. You will be given a clean and well-sanitized bike at the start of your rental. The eBike will be cleaned and sanitized by our staff after your ride.
Anything I shouldn’t do?
- Don’t try to get on the ferry with your eBike. Our business is based on Bowen Island and we’d like to keep all of our eBikes on island.
- Don’t try to pop a wheelie on your eBike – these are not trick bikes. Using the eBikes for tricks, wheelies, jumps or any other forms of trick-riding will violate the terms of your rental.
- Don’t ride the eBikes in the pump track park.
- Don’t skid, or lock up the rear wheel to brake. You’re wearing down the tires for the next person!
- DON’T ATTEMPT any maintenance. We have hydraulic brakes on most of our eBikes. Please do not attempt to remove the hoses to ‘tighten’ the brakes up.
- Don’t ride on a flat tire. Call us and we will get you a new bike or pick up the broken one, or change the tire for you.
- Don’t ‘pick’ at the batteries or labels on the bikes.
Refunds & Cancelation policy
You can cancel up to 24 hours before your ride is set to begin and receive a full refund. Send an email to email@example.com or call 778-956-7946 and leave a voicemail with your name, phone number and scheduled reservation time.
Showing up without a helmet: BC Law requires you to wear a helmet when renting our eBikes. If you don’t have one, we have one here for you for a small charge. We will not be able to process refunds for people who show up without a helmet if we don’t have one available for you.
Snow, Smoke, Heavy Rain: We do not rent in snowy or icy conditions, and terrible air quality conditions. You will not need to worry about our 24h cancellation policy if your health is at risk. We do not cancel for light rain or mist. We will cancel the eBikes in heavy rain conditions, we don’t like the electronics getting wet!
Showing up late: We can accommodate delays in your arrival time. Once paid for these are your eBikes, and we will happily hold onto them until you show up. Please check the ferry schedule to make sure you know when you should be in Horseshoe Bay making sure to leave EXTRA time in summer, especially for those driving on the ferry.
Should you have any issues with the operation of your eBike, please call us. We will drive out to meet you on the island with a new eBike, if one is available. If we cannot get your eBike working, or get you a replacement, we will happily provide a refund for your remaining rental time.
Bike Maintenance & Conversion Kits
Bring your bike on by, and we’ll have a look! We also convert regular bikes into eBikes. Picking up more conversion kit stock this week.